Monday, December 15, 2008

Bargain Decorating

Posted by Picasa

I have been entertaining myself the past few nights by doing a bit of bargain decorating. I love to buy nice things for my house knowing that I am paying a fraction of the original cost. One thing I have learned from my years as a furniture buyer is that you can always find a store that sells the same look you like for half the price. It may take a bit of creativity and hunting down but it can happen.

Bedroom Light


In the house we are buying the master bedroom is pretty small. After living in a one bedroom apartment with wall to wall furniture, I just can't seem to bring myself to do this in our new home. I have always like the Pottery Barn lamps that can be hung on the wall.

I found these online at pottery barn for $139, set of two.
And with a little bit of searching on the Internet, I found a similar look at IKEA for $34, set of two. And with a little bit of spray paint I can get the same color as the PB lamps if I choose.

Bathroom Sink


Our plan is to update the bathroom sink in the spare bathroom with a larger vanity. I just wanted a little more counter space than the original sink offers. Again I found one that I liked at PB but didn't want to spend as much as they were asking. Thanks to Lowe's I will be able to get one for $1000 less than PB.

Home Office

Can you guess where I got my inspiration for the home office? Yes! PB again.


Now I must say that I got my next idea from my Dad. In my office now I have two file cabinets with a door on top. I bought all of this for less than $500. PB was asking $1500-$2000, that just seems crazy to me to spend that much. I asked Jeff if we could add on another side to the desk when we moved and he said "Sure, eventually." Which is code for, "Give me a year or two and consider it done!" I do plan on repainting the door though as soon as I can after the move.


Dining Room Table

I would love to have a larger table that seats more than 4 people but at this point not a priority. The table we have is just fine for now until we get some other things purchased. Even though it is not a priority, you can't stop a girl for shopping. I found the table above at Stacy's Furniture. (Shh...don't tell my coworkers!) Sunday, while waiting for the nephew to come to town, Jeff and I went to see the table at the store. I liked it but hated spending full price. So my solution will be to find a rectangle table at a flea market or Craig's List and paint it the color I want. I then will probably order two more chairs that match the 4 I already have. My goal is to spend no more than $150 dollars on this. I will keep you posted as this little adventure unfolds.

New Dishes

We eventually will need to buy a new set of dishes since the ones we bought when we got married have started to get heat cracks in the center. Yet again, Jeff and I don't feel it is really a priority at this point but I can dream can't I? I found a set that I like at PB (can you tell this is my favorite store for inspiration?) I found the exact same dishes at IKEA, Target and Wal-Mart for half the price of PB.

Here is a bit of information for the inquiring minds who want to know:
The foundation is fixed but we have to wait 30-60 days to make sure it is good to go once it settles a bit. Jeff and I are fine with waiting. I am trusting God to move us when the time is right and best for us. I also can't wait to tell those of you who have known me for many years the exact location of the house and how this house came to us. God's hand has been all over the process of this move. But our new neighbors suggested that we have a bit of fun with everyone out there in blogland so you are going to have to wait. It will be fun to see if you guys can guess, I promise!

No comments: