And well you know the rest of the story.
For the past few weeks, Jeff and I have been looking at houses but nothing has felt like home. I would like one but he wouldn't and vice versa. Needless to say, I knew something big was about to happen.
About this time last week, Jeff and I were having our daily walk & talks around the neighborhood when he started telling me what was on his heart. At first I wanted to kick and scream and cry out no. In fact, I did for about 20 steps then I stopped, asked him to start over and turned my listening ears on.
When Jeff and I first got married, my brother encouraged us to take Crown Financial Bible Study. (Does this mean I can blame my big brother for the latest turn of events? Just kidding) This bible study changed our lives. We made a goal for ourselves to be 100% debt free. Slowly but surely we are getting there, unfortunately we still have one big fat student loan left to pay off. In our checking account sits a down payment for a house, which happens to be the exact amount to pay off our student loan. I guess you guys know what I am about to tell you don't you?
We have decided to take a huge leap of faith, pay off this last student loan and put the house on hold. Why are we doing this? Because a man named Dave Ramsey once told us that we should have 15-20% saved up, as well as 6 months of an emergency fund before we move into a house.
I need to tell you before I tell you more, I am very excited about this new adventure.
1) we will be debt free
2) I have prayed for Jeff to lead our family and through this adventure he is doing just that.
If you would have told me a year ago or even 6 months ago this is where we would be going, I would have not believed you and probably kicked and screamed all the way home. But today, I feel confident that we are right where we need to be and I can't help but feel like this may have been God's plan all along.
We are confident that we have made the best decision for us and look forward to where this new path leads us.
More posts coming soon of how we are transforming our small one bedroom apartment to a place of peace and serenity. Which basically means this chick has bought a real desk so I can close up the office at the end of the day. ;)
3 comments:
That's such a wise and admirable decision. You guys really have it together. I wish I could say as much for myself.
I know the Lord will provide the perfect house for you in His timing.
I really believe that the Lord will bless you and your family because of this decision, Susan. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you "turned on your listening ears". Oh, that's such an important thing for all of us to remember to do!! Jeff is doing a fantastic job leading your family . . .and you are doing a fantastic job submitting to his leadership! Ohh . . I just get real excited thinking about what this next part of your "journey" will hold!!
Wow, that is very humbling in a world where are prioritie$ are misplaced. I can't wait to see where this journey will take you.
Post a Comment