Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Menu Planning-Phase One


I am working on stream lining my menu plan and grocery shopping. My goal is to be able to have a 6-week rotation established so that I can create a standard grocery list and buy what I need in bulk.

My post it notes have been a huge help in keeping track of what we eat. (Please note the lasagna listed twice in a four week period, it's hubs all time favorite food) I usually try to keep it simple during the week since hubs works nights and has to be out the door by 6:15. Because of his work schedule, I try to avoid recipes that take 30-45 minutes. Lasagna obviously takes longer but it is the perfect meal to prepare in advance so all you have to do is throw it in the oven an hour before you eat.


When I am planning my menu, I follow this simple list.

Monday- salad or soup, sometimes both
Tuesday- Mexican
Wednesday- Chicken
Thursday- Pasta (lasagna, manicotti, spaghetti)
Friday night- Pizza night (sometimes with the family but most times a pizza from sam's club)
Saturday & Sunday- usually the kitchen is closed but every once in awhile I will cook gourmet sandwiches or Jeff will grill out

As you can see, I like things quick and easy. Nothing too over the top and nothing that requires much time.

Come back next Wednesday for Phase Two: Establishing a Grocery List.

Feel free to share your menu planning tips as well.

1 comment:

Amy Pennington said...

love this idea...I may just borrow it:)