You may have not known this but I have been growing my hair out to donate to Locks of Love.I have always wanted to do this and have spent the last year and a half growing it out. Towards the end, it became a real labor of love and I was happy to chop it off on Saturday.
The process wasn't made easier by my co-workers who nicknamed me Penny Pentecostal due to my long locks. Or that I made the mistake of relaying this story to Jeff and he started calling me Penny as well. One night I was sitting in B & N when a guy started to hit on me. I was wearing one of my new summer skirts, a tee shirt and had my hair in a bun. I probably didn't have a lot of make up on because by 8 p.m. it had worn off already and why would I touch it up that late in the night? The conversation turned into a ministry opportunity for me and by the end I had invited him to church. You won't believe the first thing he asked once he heard I went to church.
"Is it a Pentecostal church?"
Seriously?!? I knew then it was time to cut my hair.
(Side note: I mean no harm to the Pentecostal religion, the women typically keep their hair very, very long---that's all)
This past Saturday was the day. As she was chopping off my hair I had a moment where I thought "Am I making a mistake?" Flashbacks to the haircut of 1996 were flashing through my mind. A haircut I choose not to repeat. Ever.
Thankfully, I am very happy with the results. I feel like I am getting a fresh start and that is a wonderful feeling these days. Not to mention that Jeff LOVES it! I mean LOVES. IT.
Here is the best picture I could get while home alone tonight. I went for the serious look in this one.

And here is another one...I was feeling a bit sassy. Can you tell?

I can't wait to send in my Locks of Love this week.
1) Because the "tail" kind of gives me the creeps and I have hidden it in a drawer.
2) Someone is going to be blessed with a wig from my long locks.
9 comments:
It looks great! Very stylish -- and for a great cause. I'm jealous of how thick your hair is!
Love your hair!
LOVE the sassy new do!
I AM LOVING IT!!!!
Love the hair! Glad I got to see it up close and personal.
totally AWESOME! LOVE IT... looks so great...
It looks SOOOOOOO CUTE!!!
Yes, the ponytails creeped me out too. And Reagan. She saw mine before I mailed them (my mistake!)and screamed "PUT YOUR HAIR BACK ON MOMMY!! PUT YOUR HAIR BACK ON!!" Trauma. :)
Oh my goodness, it's adorable! You just couldn't have done it before our visit so that I could have seen it person huh? :) Seriously though, precious!
I did this too. Last year when my daughter-in-law and son were here. I had been growing it out for a very long time. They had suggested braiding it and putting it in a baggie. I cannot tell you how hard it was to see that baggie sitting on the table. Totally freakie!!!!! But, i have salt and pepper grey hair. It was fun to have it long - now - i need another hair cut! Love yourS! Inspired me ;-)
Post a Comment