Monday, November 02, 2009

Gratitude: Day One


I am thankful for my grandparents, two of my favorite people ever.

In college, I came home almost every weekend to wait tables at the Chili's I worked at before leaving for college. Every weekend they would come to eat in my section. My grandfather would tip me a great deal of money. The first time he did this I said, "Bonner this is way too much. I can't take this." He refused my efforts to return the money and told me this was their way of helping me through college. I will forever be grateful to them for that help.

A few weeks before I married Jeff, we had a snow storm in Texas (small flakes to most Northerners). I was over at my grandparents having dinner when Bonner looked outside and deemed the roads unsafe for me to drive home. I ended up staying with them for 3 days just because I was having too much fun to leave.

Many times during the seven years Jeff and I have married, Jeff has asked if I wanted to spend the night with my grandparents. Jeff works nights so it hasn't taken away anytime that I would be spending with him. I can't count the number of times I have shown up to their house with my bag and pillow in hand without any notice. The first thing Bonner says is "Martha, it looks like Ding-a-Ling is back."

And to which my Granny says, "My lands, it seems you are right."

As their lives are beginning to wind down, these are just a few of the memories that I carry with me for years to come. I am grateful for their love and support. I am grateful that we live as close as we do and I am grateful that in this season of our lives, I can give back to them just as much as they have given to me.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Pearson Family said...

Something about your gratitude...brings tears to my eyes. I hear my grandmother's voice when trying to hear Aunt Martha's. Love you.