Monday, July 26, 2010

Taking One for the Team


Last night Jeff and I went with our good friends to hear Sara Groves play. She is one of my favorite Christian artists. Her music speaks to my soul. :)

I didn't know if Jeff was going to enjoy her music and on the way over gave him a bit of warning regarding her style. Her style of music is very mellow and for a guy who loves Van Halen I just knew that Sara may not hit the harmonic chord it does inside of me.

He looked at me and said, "I guess I am taking one for the team tonight?"

"Yep. Pretty much."

This conversation got me to thinking last night as I was sitting in the concert. Marriages are all about taking one for the team. There has to be a give and take from both parties in order for the marriage to thrive.  My moment of taking one for the team occurs every fall during football season.  I have no problem watching football but I don't often get to watch my hometown team, the Cowboys.  Jeff refuses to watch any football other than Chargers on the off chance we mistakenly see the Charger score before Young family kick off.  Game time at our house is 8:30 Sunday night so the TV and computer stay off most Sundays.  This my friends, is my way of taking one for the team.


Jeff gladly accepted the invitation from our friends to attend this concert. I think he knows that his way of taking one for the team involves anything with music. (Remember my Phantom of the Opera birthday present?) As we were sitting listening to Sara, I started to realize that he was no longer, "taking one for the team" but fully enjoying himself as well.  What's not to love about Sara Groves?

Thank you Jeff for being such a good sport last night.  It means so much to me that you are willing to embrace my love for music and good lyrics. You are a great team player!

And I close with our favorite Super Bubbie who found the music so relaxing that he passed out in the middle of it.  Nothing like a sleeping "baby"!

No comments: