Monday, August 02, 2010

These Are the Days We Will Remember

I remember it like it was yesterday, driving in our rental car heading somewhere North. I had put together a Young Family road trip playlist and Jeff and I were sitting back enjoying the open road with songs blaring from our speakers.

The theme of that playlist was to live in the moment. My favorite was Keith Urban's "These Are the Days." At that moment in time those words resonated with me.

"These are the days we will remember. These are the times that won't come again...So take 'em by the hand, they're yours and mine. Take 'em by the hand and live your life. Take 'em by the hand don't let 'em all fly by"

It was on that road trip to the North that I decided that no matter where the road took me I was going to live fully in the moment--not letting life pass by but soaking up the present moment.  Today I am just days away from being a full time mom and tonight starts the official countdown to Andrew. My mom will be staying with me as we wait for Andrew to make his apperance into the world.  I still can't believe I am just days away from holding our son.  I would be lying if I told you that I wasn't a tad bit nervous, the unknown always makes me feel this way.  But then I have to remember the promise I made to myself many years ago on the open road while listening to Keith Urban. 

"These are the days we will remember. These are the times that won't come again...So take 'em by the hand, they're yours and mine. Take 'em by the hand and live your life. Take 'em by the hand don't let 'em all fly by"


This past week Jeff was on vacation.  We knew this would be his last vacation before our lives changed so we made a point to do a bunch of things that may not happen for awhile after Andrew comes.
  • ate at Outback with our last Christmas gift card. 
  • swam in the pool
  • sat outside most evenings and listened to his radio scanner...we were able to pick up his work frequency so I got to hear a bit of the behind the scenes from work
  • bought and installed Andrew's car seat.  The first time we drove with it in our car, we both turned our heads slowly to look at his seat before backing out of the driveway and Jeff said, "Well, it's official.  Our life is about to change."
  • went to the movies--Inception still has my head spinning
  • went to a local hardware store to buy a few batteries.  Jeff likes to support the "little guys" and of course when he declared this I had to laugh and now tease him often.  As we passed a local sno-cone stand I said,  "Let's go support the little guys, Jeff."
  • while browsing at Steinmart (I can't wait to buy normal clothes again)  I started to pick out the brightest and most flamboyant outfits for Jeff.  The people shopping next to us gave us the funniest looks but we didn't care.  I wish I had my video camera with me to capture Jeff's running commentary on the outfits.  Priceless!
  • went with M & M to take nephew Jacob on a big brother outing to Chuck E Cheese.  While the boys played, Meredith and I sat and talked about the littlest cousins we were about to bring into the world, who are days apart and will grow up to be best friends.  Crazy good times ahead!
Even though things are about to change, Jeff and I both can not wait to welcome the Little Mister into the world. We look forward to celebrating our new family of three and soaking up the newborn days---the good, the bad and the ugly.

I wanted to post a video of Keith Urban's These are the Days video to close this post and when I came across this families video I had to post it here.  I can't wait to take a trip with my boys one day. 

No comments: