Monday, September 03, 2007

So Long Summer, So Long

Summer- A time to defend, nurture, guard and protect yourself.


This SUMMER has been exactly what I want while at the same time being nothing like I expected. I did everything that was on the Summer Plans List while other things have come as a complete surprise. One of the most unexpected things from this summer is how God transformed me.

I started out this summer anxious about the next phase and instead of giving it to God, I talked about it with my friends non-stop.

Early on in the summer, I made the decision to turn off the television for the summer. By doing this, I found myself getting quieter on the inside. I felt God calling me to keep silent and trust Him with the "next phase." I prayed more and talked less.

Many things came up this summer that were completely out of my control. Often times, I felt like I was in a series of tests to see if I truly meant what I said when I said I would trust God.

The big apartment flood, the colon cancer scare, the increased work load, not getting pregnant when I wanted, all of these have served as a reminder that God is fully in control of my life-not me. Oh I cried and I tried to pray in a way that would get God to do things my way. But each time He would gently remind me that my ways are not His ways.

When my mom started to pack up her apartment we decided to clean out a few of our "memory boxes." As you already know from the past post, I enjoyed my walk down memory lane. But I found a quote in my prayer journal that hit home even today. To be honest, I don't know if I wrote this or if I found this and wrote it down. I don't think I wrote it because it is too profound for even I to write. But I think this quote is a perfect way to wrap up my "So Long Summer" post.

"God has more for you than plans; He also has a purpose. You do not have to fear getting on a side track when God is setting your course. If He is speaking, listen. If He is guiding, follow. And when you arrive to the place He has chosen, let your heart be still. He not only knows where He as taken you, He also knows what He is doing with you while He has you here."



God Bless Your Journey!

5 comments:

Jacinda said...

Whoever wrote the quote....I like it!

Susie said...

Wonderful quote! I think you could have easily written this because I always learn something when I come by to read. You have had quite a summer, but I think you know that it's all been worth it. What great lessons!

The Brown Family said...

What a wonderful quote. I need t oremember that everyday - God is in control, not me. Thanks Susan for sharing.

Kathy said...

Great quote. I love the part about letting your heart being still. It's too easy to be focused on the next thing and not appreciate where God has led you.

Mayhem And Miracles said...

LOVE THAT! LOVE IT!!!! Thanks for blessing me today!