Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Brain




If you have been a reader of the blog for any length of time, you may have realized that I love to organize. A friend and I were recently talking about all things organizing and while we were talking, she started to laugh. "What! Do I have something on my face?!" "No!, you big dork! But you sure are animated right now talking about this." I think the topic was post it notes and something about how good they smell. I know, call me crazy.

The reason I love to be organized is because it helps keep this otherwise chaotic personality with a mild case of A.D.D stream lined and at peace. Which brings me to my latest organizing project.

The other day I was cleaning my kitchen and realized that we had lots of papers laying around with no home. As I started to sort through them I realized that I would need to find a safe place because these are papers that I always refer back to. You know how it is, the latest invitation, take out menus, phone numbers for people at church, new recipes I would like to try, etc.

Flylady encourages keeping a control journal for stuff like this. Simplify 101 sells a command central binder. And really both of these websites are great assets for those of you looking for a place to start to organize your family. I think the world of both of these ladies but I wanted something that tailored to Jeff and my needs, since for now it is just the two of us.

Last night I was reading yet another one of my favorite organizing blogs and came across this post. Needless to say, I was inspired. And took her idea and ran with it.
Instead of a file box, I used one of the many 3-ring binders that I have laying around. (That's not a joke, I have a stash of binders literally just hanging around). The reason for the binder is because it is not a bulky as the file box and helps saves space in my pint-size kitchen. I then took a few of my favorite dividers in all the world. (I also keep these hanging around.) And the reason I chose these dividers is because they are durable and have pockets on either side.

My tabs were as follows: bills to pay, upcoming events, church directory, grocery list, gift ideas, recipes to try.





One of the suggestions that the organizing lady had was to make a file for each of the family members. If you have multiple kids, I think this is a great idea. This way you can keep the notes from teachers, school activities to sign off on, sports schedules all in one place.


The only problem that I see with this binder system is to stay on top of keeping it current and not keep as a catch all. I already know that Jeff will be my biggest challenge in getting on board because, well, let's just say, he is not as passionate as I tend to be in the clearing the paper clutter department.

Oh and one quick side note: A friend of mine(the friend that I often talk about on the blog but likes to remain nameless) has 3 magnetic file boxes (1 for each kid) on the side of her fridge. Each of the kids have their name on them and they know to put all paperwork that mom and dad will need to sign off on there. She also has, above these boxes a magnetic calendar so she can stay on top of all the family activities. I am pretty sure that this works for her, right Ali-son!!! (oops, said your name!) And trust me, she is always going, going, going!

Hopefully these ideas will help you! If you get on board with any of these tips then please let me know. I am curious to see if they work for people with more than 2 people present. Hee! Hee!

7 comments:

AJ said...

Sometimes its scary to read a blog post and hear yourself say out loud

"OH ME TOO!" several times over.

Lots of binders? check
Lots of tabs? check
Three ring binder full of tabs to organize stuff in the kitchen and the people that bring in all the stuff? check!

We live in some weird parallel but now it crosses universe....and are you going to see the New! Library! on Saturday?

Kelly said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I'm one of those people that strives to be organized but just never gets around to doing it. Sad.

ASC said...

I LOVE IT! I have an ongoing passion for sticky notes, binders et al....you are speaking my language! (I also have the same problem with hubby not being as, er, passionate about all of this as you and I seem to be...)

Susie said...

This is so cool! I also went searching for the fridge files you mentioned which led me to several cool organizational websites. It's so much fun! I had no idea there were so many products to get children organized. Thanks!

The McCarter Family said...

Oh, to be that organized! I used to be, but just can't seem to get it back! Maybe reading about your's will somehow inspire me!!!

Anonymous said...

Okay from now on my code name can be grumpy girl.

And since you havent been to the house in a while the "kid bins" have been moved to a wall inthe luandry room. It is a more secure location. Brent has a magazine box on the cookbook shelf but it faces the wall since it is not decorated.
I have a binder just for take out menus. It so helps with MIL and Fil when they come to babysit.

The question of the day should be...how many kinds of sticky notes do you have in your purse right now? I have 4. And how many in your kitchend drawer? I have 7.
Big Kiss
a

The Timberframer's Wife said...

What does it say about me that I skipped the parts about organization to read the rest of the posts I needed to catch up on? I loved the night vision story and the mental picture of the couple sitting together at the table, one scrapbooking and one cleaning his gun. How very Texan! And thank you for sharing about your prayer vigil. Y'all take care!