Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Let's Get Real-Can We?

I have been thinking about the words found in James 5:13-16 the last few months. I read it not too long ago and could not remember where I read that verse. Don't you hate that? Well with the help of my trusty concordance and a heap of prayer I found it two weeks ago. There are many people that I want to share this verse with, who read the blog, so for time sake, I will write it all here.


The New Living Translations says it best:

"Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises. Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord. Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven. Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results."

I call it the getting real verse. I believe there is much power when we are able to admit that we are struggling, rejoicing or we have sinned.

Let me see if I can simplify my thoughts regarding this verse:

1. Why are we afraid to ask for help when we know we could really use it?
2. Why do we pretend we have it all together when the truth is we are falling apart?
3. Why are we afraid to let others walk along side us in our time of need?
4. Why do we sometimes find ourselves avoiding those who are hurting instead of walking along side them?
5. How can we encourage and love those walking through a rough season.

I have learned in the past two years that there is NOTHING wrong with asking for help. I have been blessed to be surrounded by friends who can see through the "I'm fine or I'm good" answer. Every time I admit that I am struggling and ask for help, God brings someone into my life to offer a word of encouragement or a phone call out of the blue to tell me they have been praying for me.

I believe that every human being has seasons of good and bad. I think that if we allowed ourselves to open up in the bad times we would find that supporting someone else in there bad times would be easier for us, less uncomfortable. I believe that God encourages us to lay down the all is well with me mask and let our true selves show through so that we can be healed. And then, in return one day we will be able to help someone else in their time of need. So let's get real peeps and quit trying to act like we are picture perfect. Isn't that what the Christian community is all about?


And can I say another thing that has been running through my head? Let's look at the life of Jesus. Jesus had 12 disciples that went with him everywhere he went. He padres so to speak. But how many people did he have when he went to pray in the garden? (Matthew 26:37) Three! And so I say this as an encouragement to those of you out there who are a little more private. You don't have to share the deepest hurts and pain with every Tom, Dick and Harry or Sally, Sue and Mary. If you are hurting, if you are rejoicing, if you are sick, if you are falling to pieces at the seams, if you are blessed in the season I pray that you have that one person or three, to pray for you in your time of need, whatever that need maybe. You know safe people that you are able to say, "Pray with me, I am desperate!" or "Rejoice with me-God has blessed me!"

And I pray, oh how I pray that in return we are able to be a person where people want to come to us in good times and bad.


Alright, that is all for now!

Rock on my friends, rock on! :)

2 comments:

LlamaJ said...

This was really good to read. I think many of us can relate.

The Timberframer's Wife said...

Good stuff. Hey, I got tickled reading your paint ball story. Glad all was okay. Hope y'all are having fun with Mickey!