Monday, February 16, 2009

In The Kitchen: Herbed Beef Stew



The following recipe is from one of my favorite crock pot meal cookbooks, Fix It & Forget It. If you own this book it's on page 72, if you don't own it, you should.

What you need:

1 lb beef round, cubed

4 Tbsp seasoned flour (see below)

1 1/2 cups beef broth (I use two cans)

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1 garlic clove (or I use 2 tbsp of minced garlic)

4 carrots sliced (I buy a bag of frozen crinkle cut carrots)

3 potatoes, cubed

2 onions, diced

1 rounded tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp of dried thyme

1 rounded tsp chopped fresh basil or 1/2 tsp dried thyme

1 Tbsp fresh parsley or 1 tsp. dried parsley

1 rounded tsp fresh marjoram or 1 tsp dried marjoram (I have no clue what this is so I omitted)

Put meat in slow cooker. Add seasoned flour. Toss with Meat. Stir in all other ingredients. Mix Well. Cover. Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 10-12 hours.

*Seasoned Flour

1 cup flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp paprika

1/4 tsp pepper

I serve this with fresh bread from the Kroger deli and or make a batch of cornbread. Very yummy and very simple to make.

And would anyone like to enlighten me on what the heck marjoram is? I will be your best friend for life.

3 comments:

tara said...

It is a green, fine powder spice.

Judi said...

Tara is right! Find it in a bottle in the spice aisle.

Anonymous said...

Marjoram is a somewhat cold-sensitive perennial herb or undershrub with sweet pine and citrus flavours. Thank you Wikipida. You can subsitute Oregano.:)