Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Gratitude: Day Three


Today is all about Jeff.

This is Jeff entertaining our little twin friends, Sami and Kate. I had to snap this picture for proof of Kate's love for Jeff. She just can't seem to take her eyes off my man. Which of course, he eats up.

Each day I fall more and more in love with this man. He has been a huge support to me in recent weeks and has gone over and beyond the call of duty to comfort me, support me and to love me. I thank God daily for blessing me with this man!

One Sunday afternoon, he decided we need to sing a hymn, before our Sunday nap. I decided to go with it because I had no doubt his song would be entertaining. He sings in his loudest, most upbeat voice, "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart! Where, Susan?

"Down in my heart!"

"Correct! I've got the joy, joy, joy down in my heart. Down in my heart today!"

I loved every minute. Yet, I still have no idea why he thought of that song.

Another night he took me to eat at Olive Garden. YUM! We were in the middle of trying to sort out a few unknowns we need to discuss. We were both nervous but trying to be brave for the other person. Then, he looks deep into my eyes and says "One day at time SWEET! JESUS!" I laughed so hard because that sums up exactly what I was feeling too.

Now at random times, we will turn to each other and say, "One day at a time SWEET! JESUS! " And of course we have to yell sweet and Jesus each time.

I guess you can say this is our newest family motto. The first family motto was "If it's free it's for me." The second family motto was "That behavior is just crazy and we don't do crazy round here!" (I will tell you the story behind that, one day at my funeral)

This week alone Jeff has gone over and beyond the call of duty with stuff around the house. He made dinner Monday, he surprised me by taking my grocery list and filling it and the next day he started the crock pot for me and even cleaned up the kitchen.

I have found myself saying over and over the past few weeks, "Thank you Jeff for your help!"

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

And a side note to the ladies reading this thinking "I wish my husband did that."

When Jeff and I got married, we were both very self absorbed people. We wanted the other to serve us and to make us happy. The problem with that thinking is you get stuck in a rut of me, me, me. Plus spouses are human and can not be the only source of happiness. One day, in the middle of a very rocky year, we sat down and had a what can I do for you meeting. It was a huffy affair, full of arrogance and bitter words. Thanks be to God we grew beyond that point and started truly communicating to each other. I once had a professor in college tell me that marriage was about giving not taking. In that first meeting, those words came back to me. Over the next few months, we started to take our guard down and in a calm tone told each other our top 5 needs. Over the years, we have referred back to that list many times. I am not saying we are perfect because we are not. I mess up more than I care to admit and I nag more than I should. Yet, let me tell you why I believe things have been different in the past year. I seek to serve him and he seeks to serve me. I encourage more than I nag and I believe this is why he chooses to go out of his way to do little things for me. My man loves to be honored, plain and simple. So if you are sitting on the other side of the screen, in the middle of a rocky situation in your marriage, take a moment. Pray. Confess to God your arrogance. Seek your husband and do the same. Schedule a time for you to talk. (And don't get your panties in a bunch if now is not the best time, men need time to process) Pray together. Walk away from that meeting seeking ways to give to your husband. And for the love of God, don't get mad if he doesn't change over night. In fact, don't even worry about him because all you can change AND control is yourself.

Remember, marriage is about giving not about taking!!
And...
One day at a time, SWEET! JESUS!!

1 comment:

The McCarter Family said...

You have such a gift for writing and communicating your feelings! Great post! I too am amazed at how much better my marriage is if we both have the attitude of servanthood! Sounds like you have found the PERFECT man for you! I can so see yall laughing all the time!!! Praise the Lord for such wonderful men of God!