Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Picking Out His Name

Is it just me or are boy names hard to pick? When Jeff and I started to go through the list of names, the one thing we agreed on is the middle name. If it was a boy, he would be named after Jeff's middle name, Jon. If the baby was a girl, she would have my middle name Gwen. Both of our middle names were passed down from family members and we wanted our children to carry on the same tradition.

The problem we found with the middle name Jon was the first name needed two syllables that sounded good with a one syllable middle name. We also wanted a name that would be a good boy name but also a strong man's name later in life.

There were a few names we wrote down as possibilities but we never could agree on the one we liked the most. Jeff from the very beginning said he wanted to name our son Andrew. I was a bit more hesitant. Andrew is a great name but two of my good friends also have boys named Andrew. I wanted to be original. I wanted to use Jackson at first and call him Jack but Jeff said no. I also suggested Jeffrey (after the baby's daddy) but Jeff said no. He did not want our son to be called junior. So for weeks we were stalled out where the boys name was concerned.

We didn't worry too much because we thought we were having a girl. And if Baby Youngster were a girl, her name would be Maggie Gwen. I was happy. Jeff was happy. No big decision needed to be made there.

Well....

The week before the big sonogram reveal, I started to pray over the name list. I was praying specifically for the boy name. I looked up the meaning of each of the names on our boy list and started to pray for the characteristics of what I hoped our son would have. I prayed for our son to be a leader, strong, a man's man and to love the Lord from an early age. I was starting to lean in one direction after my time in prayer but I kept it to myself because after all, we were having a girl.

Later that week, I was watching the movie The Proposal. The two main characters in the movie are named Margaret and Andrew. I thought that was funny since both our babies names were in that movie. This started me leaning further in the same direction as Jeff.

But what sealed the deal, was this picture on Pottery Barn Kids.


And yes, this is our bedding we will be using in the nursery too! I fell in love with the name right then and there. The night before the big reveal, I stayed awake praying for the next day. As I looked over the name list and the meanings behind the list, I knew that boy or girl we had made the right decision for our child.

The day of the big reveal, I was very calm but something inside me told me it would be a boy. When the sonographer said, "Do you see it?" I said, "Well hello Baby Andrew!" Jeff on the other hand was in shock for about 24 hours but has since fully embraced the idea of having a son. He actually is pretty cute about the whole thing which makes my mama heart soar.

I absolutely love the meaning behind Andrew Jon.

Andrew means manly warrior
Jon means God has given; a gift of God

Oh how I pray that my son , Andrew be a manly, warrior for the Lord. And it seems appropriate that his middle name means gift of God since that is exactly what he is, a gift. Plus it will serve as a nice reminder when our son is getting disciplined and I have to say, "Andrew Jon, come here!" I will remember that this boy is a gift that I waited a long time ... even though he disobeyed, I will still consider him as a blessing! Ha!

And let me state for the record. His name is Andrew. Not AJ and not Andy. His name is Andrew. IF we shorten his name, he will go by Drew since this too is a family name. For now, his name is Andrew. I know I sound crazy clarifying this but a few of my friends have started calling him AJ already and I keep thinking, no his name is ANDREW!

But really, all that is water under the bridge because his Dad still insists on nicknaming him Duke. (A blog post for another day)

18 more weeks until we are holding our son, Andrew Jon. My arms can't wait and my lips are itching to kiss his sweet cheeks!!

Oh, how I love this boy!!!

8 comments:

ASC said...

How special! Such a neat journey to finding his name. Our "boy name" was Andrew James. We had a boy name, but no girl name when we went in for our big reveal sono -- and we ended up with a girl! Funny how that works. I love the name you have chosen and the prayerful consideration that has gone into it. May God bless you as you continue along this journey!

daughteroftheking said...

We can't wait to meet sweet Andrew! Faith is especially counting the days until she meets her little cousin!!
I love the name! Next time I see you i'll have to tell you something funny that happened about his name.

Kelly said...

Yes, boy names are hard to pick out. I felt that way with Tate the first time and then even more so this time. Love the name Andrew and am getting so excited for you guys!

LlamaJ said...

That's a great name! I like the middle name, too. We contemplated naming our boy John but then decided on David. Andrew Jon goes well together!

Kendra said...

Oh this just makes me smile so very big! Love you - can't wait to see you with your baby in your arms either!!

Anonymous said...

I love the name! Can't wait to see him.

Melissa Taylor said...

That last comment was from me...I don't know why it didn't put my name, sorry!

laura said...

Love love love love love that name :) it is so hard to pick a name that's a good boy name, but a strong man name too... but you did it! How fun that we will have little boys together... you're going to love being a little boy mama! It's the best :) and if you need hand-me-downs, I think we've gotcha covered :)